Five Things to Know Before Undergoing Sedation Dentistry
At 915 Smile Studio, we prioritize the comfort and well-being of our patients. We understand that dental anxiety is a common concern among many people. To help ease these concerns, a dentist with sedation in El Paso, TX might be just what you need. Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to help patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during their dental appointments. However, before undergoing sedation dentistry, there are a few things you should know. Our El Paso sedation dentist is here to go over five of them to help you feel prepared and confident before your treatment.
1. The Types of Sedation Dentistry Offered by 915 Smile Studio
At 915 Smile Studio, we offer various types of sedation dentistry to cater to the different needs of our patients. Our El Paso sedation dentist will help you choose the best option for your needs and preferences. Our options include nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas) and oral sedation.
- Nitrous oxide is the mildest form of sedation and is administered through a small mask placed over your nose. The sedation dentist can freely adjust the amount of gas for your comfort. Patients are awake during the entire procedure, but are able to relax with less awareness of dental pain and anxiety.
- Oral sedation involves taking a pill before your appointment to help you relax. Patients remain awake during their treatment, but with a calming effect that makes lengthy treatments less stressful and more enjoyable. Patients may feel lingering grogginess after their visit, so it’s important to arrange a ride home beforehand.
2. Benefits of Sedation Dentistry for Dental Anxiety Patients
One of the most significant benefits of sedation dentistry is that it helps patients with dental anxiety feel more relaxed and comfortable during their appointments. It can also help patients who have a strong gag reflex, sensitive teeth, or need a lengthy procedure. Sedation dentistry can make dental appointments feel shorter and less stressful, which can encourage patients to keep up with their oral health.
3. How to Prepare for Your Appointment
Before your sedation dentistry appointment, it’s essential to follow some essential steps to ensure a smooth and safe procedure. Our team will provide you with detailed instructions on how to prepare. Nitrous oxide typically doesn’t require any special preparation, but with oral sedation there are some things you should keep in mind. The sedation medication may require fasting for a certain number of hours before your appointment and arranging transportation to and from our office. We also recommend wearing comfortable clothing and using the restroom before your procedure begins.
4. What to Expect During Your Visit
When you arrive at our office for your sedation dentistry appointment, we’ll take some time to go over your medical history and address any questions or concerns you may have. Once you feel comfortable and ready, we’ll administer the sedation, and you’ll feel relaxed and calm throughout the procedure. After your treatment, we’ll monitor you and ensure that you’re recovering well before allowing you to leave.
5. What to Expect After Your Sedation Dental Visit
After your sedation dentistry appointment, it’s crucial to follow some aftercare instructions to ensure a smooth recovery. With oral conscious sedation, you may experience some grogginess, drowsiness, or dizziness, so it’s important to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery for at least 24 hours after your appointment. You should also avoid eating or drinking anything until the numbness in your mouth wears off completely.
Ready to Meet Your El Paso Sedation Dentist?
More and more of our local patients are seeking the care of an experienced dentist with sedation options in El Paso, TX. At 915 Smile Studio, we have exactly what they need for a better dental appointment. Our El Paso sedation dentists are committed to providing our patients with safe, effective, and comfortable dental care. If you have any questions about how sedation can improve your next dental visit, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team. We’re here to help you feel confident and relaxed before your appointment.